Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Role of Science


"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to MOVE in the opposite direction."- Albert Einstein

"An alleged scientific discovery has no merit unless it can be explained to a BARMAID."- Ernest Rutherford

If you find a person using complex descriptions, words, you can immediately come to a conclusion that, that person too hasn't understood anything. He is just wasting your time.

Sometimes what is seeming complex to you may not be all that complex. The problem is not with them, the problem is with you. You need to upgrade your understanding level to accept the idea simply.

For example, I read The Brief History of Time when I was in class 11. I didn't understand it. I have read the same book recently, still I haven't understood all of it. But there is a difference. I have understood more things the second time than I did the first time. Hopefully, if I learn a lot and upgrade my understanding level, I will understand it even better the next time.

The role of science is to explain the natural phenomenons in a simple way. We have developed science for a logical understanding of the things and the happenings around us. Biology, Chemistry and Physics are different ways to understand them. Finally, there is no fundamental difference among Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and all of them are trying to explain the same thing in different ways.

What's the difference between science and technology? More on that in the next post. Keep looking.


No comments: