Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Common Mistakes in English: Text Lecture 1

Hello!

Oh, we are so dumb and sometimes we don't even know it. We act like smart using wrong information or facts. Am I being too offensive? Well, answer me, how often do you say "It's me! It's me!!"? And you know what, it's wrong.

There are a lot more. Here I have made a collection of the most common ones. More to come. So keep on looking.

Wrong: It's me who did it.
Right: It's I who did it.

Wrong: I like playing guitar.
Right: I like playing the guitar.
# musical instruments always preceded by 'the'

Wrong: Once upon a time Titanic was the largest ship.
Right: Once upon a time the Titanic was the largest ship.
#the name of a ship is preceded by 'the'

Wrong: I waited for her for one and a half hour.
Right: I waited for her for one and a half hours.

Wrong: A boy's hat is different from a girl.
Right: A boy's hat is different from a girl's.

Wrong: Don't make noise when I sleep.
Right: Don't make a noise when I sleep.

Wrong: It was him.
Right: It was he.

Wrong: Jack has not come also (or too).
Right: Jack has not come either.

Wrong: It's me.
Right: It's I.

Well, here were few examples. I suggest you do your own research. I just wanted to give you the heads up.

More text lectures like that are about to come. So stay tuned.

If you have enjoyed the post, please consider following me on Twitter. I will still appreciate it even if you don't. Thank you for your time. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we want some more .( i hope this sentence is grammertically ri8.)

Ant said...

Nice find, it will actually help my foreign ass. Well done