Saturday, February 19, 2011

How to learn new words!!

HI there!

I am sure many of you who read this blog are people who use English as their second language. Unless you are a super genius, probably you have faced the same problem that I have faced. So what's the problem?

It is 'Learning new words'.

Why don't you pick up a word list and learn it? It should be that simple.

NO! It's not.

You learn the words, you remember them for a few days and then you forget them. At least it happens with me.

I have tried many ways and I think finally I have found one method that surely will help.

I have used flash cards, word lists, word visualizers, but after a while whenever I have tried to recall them, I have got confused. So I was compelled to think of a new idea. And this idea has been proven effective for me.

I like reading books. So whenever I read the interesting books, I keep a pencil before hand. I don't look up the unknown words immediately, instead I put circles around them. I keep a small notebook where I note those words just for references (NOTE: I don't write any word meaning in this small notebook, only the words). As soon as I finish reading one chapter of the book, I look them up in an offline desktop dictionary (see below). I write the meanings in the book itself (NOT in the notebook). As I am usually reading a story book, I can remember very well in which context the words came up. Even if I don't remember the meanings exactly, I get a natural feeling what the probable meanings might be. And after one or two months, I go through the small notebook, I try to recall the words that I have noted down before and mark the words that I cannot recall at all. I look them up again in the story-book. And when I do that, I happen to look at other circled words as a side effect which further strengthens the process of learning new words.

If you find new words on the web, extract the WHOLE text out of the webpage and put it in a word file. Highlight the unknown words and write their meanings next to them inside parenthesis. Save the page. Keep all the pages of this kind in a folder. Check them out at least once each month.

This method has worked for me. I hope it will work for you too. If you find a better way, let me know. I will include it in the future update of the post.

Download the free offline dictionary from this link.

No comments: