Friday, October 15, 2010

Stuck with 5

Sleep, sweet sleep, beauty sleep! I have spent a considerable amount of time reading and researching on sleep. But somehow sleep doesn't like me. It only maintains a business relation with me.

I don't remember last time I slept more than 6 hours. 5 hours is my average. Mostly it varies from 4 and a half hours to 5 hours. I have tried many ways, but I can't increase it.

So yesterday I decided to take an ultimate attempt. I worked out in the gym for 2 hours. I was determined not to sleep in the day time (which I never do). I had more than enough rice (I am a massive eater). Ended the dinner with sweet deserts. At that stage my body became so heavy that I felt lazy to move my fingers to type my password. I thought I was ready to have a "death-in-the-hell" sleep. But I wanted to go beyond that point. I opened up a bottle of wine and drank half of it. I was supercharged to drown myself into sleep. But I had to do even more. People say brain exercises before sleep ensures the soundness of it. So I solved one Sudoku puzzle. It was hard to solve considering I had had half a bottle of wine.

Last minute preparation. I went to the restroom to get refreshed. Used some cosmetics as it is known that the aroma of artificial cosmetics makes you feel sleepy. I turned on my laptop and spent some time deciding who should I listen to: Mozart or Beethoven? I like Mozart, but I guess for sleeping no one comes close to Beethoven. Thought of listening to Moonlight Sonata, but got away from that plan as the music is fast paced. Finally ended up listening to another soothing piece by Beethoven and played it on an eternal loop. Opened up all the windows to ensure enough oxygen supply in the room. Drank that much amount of water which would not force me to go to washroom in the middle of the night but would prevent me from getting dehydrated. I was readier than ever.

Though I was extremely sleepy, I decided to do some breathing exercises from Zen Buddhism. I have learned some methods from the book "The Miracle of Mindfulness" by Thich Nhat Hanh. Turning off the light, I decided to do that for 5 mins. Well, I don't remember after that. I slept. I guess that was 4 am in the morning.

The next thing I remember is getting up this morning. I felt so fresh. The wine hasn't made my body dehydrated. I was in a very good mood. Beethoven was still playing on my laptop. Nice smell of the morning breeze came into my nose. I felt I had hell of a sleep. I wanted to break my traditional 5 hour sleep record. I did. Or at least I thought so until I looked at my watch. It was 9 am.

I can't get away with my 5 hour record. It has choked me with its tightest grip. There is no way out of it. At least I would feel better if later in the day I felt dizzy or sleepy. No, I felt totally fine. I won't get my beauty sleep (The phase of sleep when you see dreams. It is usually easier to achieve if your sleep breaks once and then you go to sleep one more time for around two hours). Sleep doesn't like me. I am stuck with 5.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great content & Awesome a site…